Monday, August 31, 2009

Reflection 1

In class, we discussed identity and "what makes you you," whether it be your background, personal interests, or aspirations. What struck me as most interesting in our discussion was when Professor Jackson asked us if something we have no control over or is forced up on us still shapes our identity. It really made me think about my religion. My mom is a hardcore Catholic, so my older sister and I both went to Catholic school from kindergarten to eighth grade, and our family attended Church every Sunday. However, as I became older, I wanted to attend Mass less and less, and my mom now forces me to go every week. It’s not that I dislike religion; it just bothers me that Catholicism has strict rules that you must follow or suffer the consequences. Yet when someone asks me what religion I am, I respond Catholic without a hesitation. I really have no clue why I do this- I have no intention of continuing the Catholic faith once I move out of my house, but I still identify myself as Catholic. Maybe it's because of my experiences with the religion that I do this. Attending church choir practice and volunteering with the children's liturgy used to consume the majority of my time. Even though I have come to severely dislike it, the Catholic faith will always be a part of my past, which is why I think I may still identify as Catholic. Even though it was forced upon me and I dislike it now, it is still a part of my identity and "makes me me." So I feel like we have no control over aspects that are forced upon us, whether by family or our surroundings...it automatically becomes a part of our identity whether we like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment