Thursday, December 3, 2009

blog question 13

Although I believed that this question would be easy- it doesn't require me to examine a work of literature or attempt to draw information from society- I personally think it is the hardest one yet. Of course, like many of my classmates, Joe and Julie for example, I aspire to travel and to immerse myself in foreign languages; I think you would be hard-pressed to find AU student who didn't have this goal.

However, I think that foreign travel is simply one of the greatest components of my ideal community. Even though I have not been a particularly devout Christian; I am probably what both atheists and fundamentalists would call an "accommodator," or what I like to call "progressive." What this means to me is that I find the social gospel as compelling and important as the spiritual component. I therefore want, most of all, to join the community of community builders and human developers who work overseas. I don't believe that it is my duty to bring the message of Jesus to foreign heathens. I do believe that people in Latin America, Africa and the Middle East are hungry, poor and hurting- and I have a calling to try and make a difference. I don't know if I will immediately set off on this goal, because I'm going to have a chunk of debt to pay off after college. I just know that I don't want to fall into a trap of easy living.

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you mean completely, Ben. Although I am personally not going into the fields of international politics or development, I feel that I need to help those who are less fortunate than myself in one way or another. I want to do something a little beyond just giving a few dollars to UNICEF, you know?
    In regards to religion, I feel much the same way. I know that I can be a bit sarcastic when it comes to religion, but I do sincerely believe in God. I'm just looking for a balance between spirituality and attempting to heal the world while inspired by faith.
    Holler at me in 10 years so I can help out! haha

    ReplyDelete