Saturday, December 5, 2009

FINAL REFLECTION

I came into this class with the expectation of having a better idea of what I want to do with my life. After 15 weeks, I'm not so sure that I do...but I also don't think that that's a bad thing.

Upon entering American University, I had the intentions of getting my bachelors in Business Administration with a speciailzation in International Business. I had the goals of becoming a high ranking executive in some international company. Though this still may end up being my ultimate goal, I feel like I need to do a little exploring into other options before I settle on that because of some experiences I've had in this class.

One thing that struck me when President Kerwin came in was how strategic his behavior was. I don't want to have to stragecially plan what I'm going to say and put up a front all the time. Though I know with every profession people will always be putting up fronts, I think this would particularly important for a high ranking executive. Another realization I had was when I read Habits of the Heart. I have always wanted to move out of my small hometown to a big city where there's something always going on. As I read Habits of the Heart, I found myself put off by the people who soley focused on their careers (I think his name was Brian) and more drawn to the fourth character who was focused on his community and his small town. This amazed me because all through high school I just wanted to get out of my small town and move on.

I'm conflicted. Small towns have reputation for being "behind the times." What am I going to a well-respected university and getting my degree in International Business for if living in a small town is what makes me happy? I think this is just really a more nostalgic feeling. In all reality, small towns really aren't as quaint as they're idealized to be...especially in movies (like "Hannah Montana: the Movie" which I'm doing my final assignment on!) In all reality, I really don't think I'll end up living in a small town, but the big city vs. small town community is a value that I question when thinking about my future.

I won't end up being a person like the fourth character of Habits of the Heart. Its a good ideal, but because of what our society is focused on, I don't think I'd feel successful. In all likelihood, I'll still probably end up majoring in International Business. I'll probably become involved in my career just like Brian in Habits of the Heart. I just hope that I don't get so caught up with my caeer that I let it negatively impact other equally, if not more, important aspects of my life.

3 comments:

  1. So I was just looking at Habits of the Heart...I didn't mean the fourth person, I meant Joe -- the second person.
    OOPS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a similar experience in terms of the small town/big city dilemma. I too come from a smallish suburb and from a very young age I was determined to live there forever. Still, to this day, my dad remembers how I told him he could never sell our house until I told him to. I think part of it is that I've never lived anywhere but in that home in my suburb of Columbia, Maryland. Like you, I've had my eyes opened to the possibility of moving out of my town into a larger city with my experiences here in DC. I think that's natural and part of the whole exploring thing during college. It's not just about academics or what you want to be when you grow up. I've realized college shapes so many aspects of one's identity and that has become very evident for me this first semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that I could never be happy in a career in which I had to constantly dissemble, or a career which soaked up all my attention and left me with little time for family or friends. However, I think that as long as you know that you don't want to end up in a miserable career, and if you have things you value higher than your job, you won't get too caught up in it.

    ReplyDelete