Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Paths to Community

I, like many of my classmates have no clue what community I'd like to join later in life.

I don't know what I want to do with my life, where I want to go, or how I'm gonna get there. In this I think I am part of a community of not knowing.

We live in uncertain times and surely an uncertain community of non-belonging, non-commital people is in order. A group of wanderers, similar and yet different from those described in Joe's post. As our generation enters the workforce we are met by a defined lack of place for us in this world. Jobs are scarce and in many ways wandering the world with a backpack and hope is an attractive option. The current group of wanderers go form vocation to vocation searching for a rent check as opposed to truth.

If "good person" and "happy" are communities, I aspire to be in them. But when it comes to defined communities like workplaces and towns I'm at a loss.

1 comment:

  1. That's both a very pessimistic and optimistic view. It's pessimistic in that you don't seem to be very hopeful for finding a community of your own, and optimistic in that you know you want to be happy. I totally agree with both, and I think your quest for happiness is probably the most important thing in life. Finding happiness and helping others to do the same is what I think life is all about.

    ReplyDelete