Monday, November 30, 2009

Reflection 14: A late Thanksgiving reflection

So looks like I forgot COMPLETELY about writing in my blog this weekend. Whoops, but then again I'm not the only one apparently. You can't blame me though, it was Thanksgiving after all. I was caught up marveling at how tall my cousin grew, the status of my other cousin and her boyfriend, and my parents' dilemma over a busted oven. So anyway, here we go, my Thanksgiving reflection... a week late.

I was terribly unproductive over break. I tried doing some homework, but ended up watching Say Yes to the Dress in my spare time. There was like a marathon on everyday! It was VERY distracting. Not distracting enough, however, to make me forget about my interesting family dynamics. I just seemed to cause loads of trouble right when I got home. I fell asleep in the bathroom and left the hot water running in the shower. I went to grab a pillow off the couch and spilled my mom's tea all over the magazine-laden table. My mom says I came back from college more opinionated, more stubborn, and much lazier. Then she freely told my psychiatrist how I'm the high maintenance one in the family, and how quiet its been without me in the house. Thanks a lot Mom, I love you too. At least Dad says he missed his little girl! XP

But anyways, I was really excited for Thanksgiving. It has extra importance for me especially because it starts this huge holiday triad for my family. First, there's the traditional turkey dinner at Aunt Judy's house, the big matriarch of my family. It's not quite traditional per say, since Aunt Maria brought Chinese-style duck from Chinatown and we ate more flan than apple pie. Second is Christmas at my house, which it always has to be. We held it at Uncle Johnny's one year, and everyone agreed Christmas was MUCH better at my house. It causes a lot of cooking stress for my mom, and she sometimes wishes she didn't have to entertain all these stinkin relatives, but she does it to keep us kids happy. Otherwise Uncle "Never RSVPs" Billy wouldn't even get invited. Third is Chinese New Year. Chinese New Year is a huge holiday for my family. We're not quite sure who's holding it this year, but all that matters is that I'm gettin money! I'm afraid the haul will be a little lacking this year due to the economic downturn, but I think I'll be alright as long as nobody gives me 2 dollar envelopes. That's just a waste of time. But seriously, Chinese New Year brings everybody together one last time before the summer. We can bring guests too since it's a little less formal. For example, I brought my bff Jemila, and we got to play our Chinese orchestra music for everybody. It's also the perfect holiday to test out new boyfriends. ;)

So yeah I'm gonna end my post here. It's too long already. To recap: going home for Thanksgiving break is SO awkward, but happy, and the start to a jolly holiday season. I can't wait till winter break! (Unlike my mother. jk!)

No comments:

Post a Comment