Sunday, November 29, 2009

Back!

So I went home for Thanksgiving break this week! It's so weird how quickly I adjusted to being back home, and I have only been at school for about two hours and it already feels like I have not left.
I went into the city on Wednesday night, and it's really made me realize how much more I like DC than the city. My friends always call me crazy for not liking the city, but I personally find it dirty and some place I would never want to live. Funnily enough, I find DC to be super fun and somewhere where I could really see myself living when I'm older. I really don't know why- it could be because maybe I have been in and out of the city my whole life, but then again I have friends who can't get enough of it and go to college at NYU and Manhattan College.
I've also realized that up until my last sentence, I have unconsciously be referring to NYC as "the city." This just made me think of a story that my friend told me at breakfast this morning. He goes to school at Ithaca College and was telling me how he got into a screaming match with a girl who insisted that "the city" was Atlanta. I mean I guess it's because it's what I'm used to and is because of where I am from- I'm sure people from the suburbs of Philadelphia refer to Philly as "the city" just like I call Manhattan "the city." I just think it's funny. Could it be because we are egotistical and think that the city located near us should be called "the city?" Or just because it is easier to call it the city?

2 comments:

  1. To answer your question Keara, I think it is because everyone is egotistical, and not necessarily in a bad way. Everyone likes to think where they come from is the best, there have been many discussions during this first semester of college, including discussions that have taken place during explorations about people’s hometowns and how one location may be better than another. I think that by referring to one’s particular major city as “the city” they are showing a sense of pride. To them that city is the center of their world, so it is recognized as the “only” city. I refer to New York City as “the city” because it is located near me. I think it is pride, and even though people will continue to debate, which city it “THEE CITY”, it will never be one place. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its just a matter of convenience for those who live in or near a certain city. I do the same thing with Washington, D.C., but it's a bit easier for me here, because this is actually where I am from.
    I understand how you feel about leaving and coming back to AU completely. It already feels like a second home to me. I was bothering my mom last Sunday that I needed I ride "back home", referring to American. When I am at one place, I begin to feel homesick for the other. Can I just drag my old friends and family here, or take all of you guys to my house?

    ReplyDelete