Saturday, November 28, 2009

Reflection 12....YUMMMM


So it would be amazing if Sofie writes about this too, but I highly doubt she will. Wednesday, Sofie and I decided to enjoy all of the loveliness of the Tavern that we could while we wouldn't be enjoying it for five whole days. Inspired by thisiswhyyourefat.com, we concoted the most fattening meal ever from the Tavern: two pieces of pizza faced towards each other with diced chicken fingers and french fries in between...mmm mmmm! Surprisingly, this wasn't horrible.
Anyway, we were laughing because of a few of the comments that were made while we were eating it...
"This is exactly why America is the fattest country." -my friend Thomas who was visiting
"This is the essence of college food." -Sofie
These aren't exact quotes, but they're the gist of what was said because I really don't remember exactly. I thought about what Thomas said and realized some correlations with what we were talking about is class. Part of the United State's identity is that it is "the fattest country". Along with the obvious fast food culture that is part of America and the disregard for the importance of exercise, it's people like me and Sofie that ate about 2000 calories in one meal.
Then when Sofie said something about this being the essence of college food, I laughed. The sterotype is college food being like Ramen, Easy Mac, other unhealthy combinations of cheap products. Similar to the identity America has of being a fat country, the identity Sofie was referring to was the identity of typical college food. Again, we were just examples of an overarching identity. This whole experience reminded me of what we did in our ethnographys of observing things that contributed to the all-encompassing identity a place suggested. And P.S. the pizza-chicken tender-french fry sandwich was unfortunately incredibly delicious....if you're looking for a meal to cook for a fancy date I fully recommend this with 5 stars.

4 comments:

  1. I must start off by saying that, yes, I too found the pizza-chicken tender- french fry sandwich was truly a delicacy! Everyone who reads this should definitely try one! But seriously, I think the problems with obesity in this country are very interesting. Not to be obnoxious, but I am pretty sure that Australia is the most obese country in the world, I could be wrong though. But anyway, I think it is somewhat odd that we live in a society that is very consumeristic and in a way obsessed with beauty but there are so many obese and overweight people. I think it must have something to do with the amount of excessiveness and lack of limits in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh geez..you're probably right. When I was doing my research for College Writing about the fast food industry, alot of stuff about Austraila came up so that could be. I shouldn't trust those damn out of towners from Cartahge who think they know what they're talking about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well being Julie's partner in crime, I can safely say that this decision was one of my best. Not only was this meal delicious in that unhealthy, regretful kind of way, but I felt like it was my own unofficial hazing into college. True, no one forced us to do this, but as soon as thisiswhyyou'refat.com inspired us to create our own concoction we simply couldn't back down. Although, I couldn't help but be reminded of the statistic I learned in my sociology class merely a couple days prior to this extravaganza of a meal that the percentage of people who die from starvation is almost equal to that of those who die from obesity. Oh well, I say live a little - it is college afterall! I must admit Julie, I'm glad we've deemed this a once a semester type deal though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually my favorite blog post I've read this year. I had no idea where you were going at first when I saw that picture, however you managed to write a meaningful post on an entertaining subject.

    Your cooky (not cookie)concoction definitely epitomizes the college eating experience and the necessity for the occasional feast. My roommate and I indulge by late night runs to McDonald's in Van Ness. I'm glad you found this delicacy and look forward to trying it myself.

    ReplyDelete