Monday, November 2, 2009

Reflection 10: Good god it's November...

Time has flown by so fast. I've been in college for 2 1/2 months. Some of my friends here feel like ones I've known for years. I'm used to the campus, the food, the schedule. Everything is fitting in very nicely for me. But for some strange reason on Saturday, I was the most homesick I had ever been since I arrived here on August 15th. Saturday was Halloween, a holiday grounded in the neighborhood where you live. I was upset because it was no longer the same for me. I was used to Trick-or-Treating with the same group of neighborhood homies, taking too much and running through backyards. I missed dressing up for the day before Halloween at my high school. I missed participating in the the Safe Halloween program where little kids get to Trick-or-Treat at my high school. I missed seeing my little brother in his video game character Halloween costume and opening the door for all the little kids. And I especially missed the CANDY. I wasn't swimming in mountains of free candy and Halloween just didn't feel the same!!! I was just plain sad all day on Saturday. I really didn't feel like leaving the dorm, but my homie Isaac managed to persuade me to go to Georgetown with him. I had fun looking at all the creative costumes and just being in the packed chaos of M Street. So the moral of the story is: when you lack your normal traditions, make new ones? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment