Sunday, November 15, 2009

Reflection 10

I really enjoyed the speaker on Friday. From his story he seems to have lived a really interesting life and I hope I can say the same thing about myself as I get older. I did notice a common theme between him and some of the other speakers we had: what you plan isn't always where you end up. He talked about how he didn't have the usual qualifications for some of the many jobs he attained, but was fortunate and knew the right people. I don't remember what country it was, but I think there was one country he was sent to and didn't even know the language.

I could be mixing up the speakers, but I believe it was Debrah Humphries didn't plan on her job at the non-profit organization and it fell into place. However, both of these speakers gave advice for our success that differed from what they did to lead to their own success. They suggested that we develop a strong plan and the speaker Friday also said that we need to specialize in certain areas. Its interesting that people who, in my opinion, are pretty successful suggest different paths than their own to reach similar success.

P.S. If it isn't already obvious, I can't remember the name of the speaker from Friday; I'm on the top bunk and my notebook is across the room. Let's face it, that's so not happening.....so we'll just go with "speaker from Friday."

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that wouldn't happen for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Ambassador Quainton would be flattered. On them telling us a different path from the one that they took, I feel like they've all got to tell us something to do to best prepare for the job even though they're banking that it's not where we will end up. Possibility?

    ReplyDelete