Monday, November 23, 2009

Reflection 13: Another 5:00am reflection...

I'm gonna make this brief since I wrote a hella' long response to the bonus question (oh how I turn to good ol Ebonics as I lose alertness). Point 1: I didn't get lost this time! Probably cuz it's hard to get lost in a four-story museum... but we're just gonna keep this as an accomplishment ok? However, I was late AGAIN. My bad. I actually got up early this time too! But, alas, this led me to choose to take a shower. This led me to be inadvertently locked out of my room, delaying my changing of clothes, which delayed my drying of hair, which made me miss the shuttle. LEGIT.

I am quite enjoying Starship Troopers. I don't read much science fiction, but I do watch it. Me likey spacey stuff (lolz). Some scifi books get too deep and confusing for my tastes. Starship Troopers is no Fahrenheit 451, which I am GLAD of. While one of my darling roommate found the opening battle scene boring and poorly written, I LOVED it. The gadgets and tactics they used were fascinatingly alien (pun intended) to me. It was like a little glimpse into a different culture for me. It revealed the personality of the main character, how his life worked, and the alien part of this whole story (the aliens, duh). It made me hungry for more. So I tore up the next couple chapters waiting for the next battle scene. I instead was met the most cliche depiction of a training camp I've ever read. I swear, I've seen the entire sequence with first meeting Sergeant Zim in a movie. The whole time reading I was thinking, "Oh come on? Really?" I've seen it so many times; the commanding officers sees his new recruits for the first time and spits in their face. Then he challenges them to fight him. He whips their asses (ah-dur!). Then a little unsuspecting Asian dude pulls out the supa-dupa kungfu and lands the commander on his ass instead. OMG I was dying!!! This was totally the scene of an old war movie! I really don't like to think Heinlein copied this cliche crap. I'm just gonna say he wrote this first before anybody else did. I see not other explanation for it except Heinlein did this on purpose to get his readers to see how similar present military to this scifi military. But if this is the case, couldn't he have done something different? SERIOUSLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment