Sunday, September 27, 2009

basking in the warm reflected glow . . .

. . . of created lore. The kind of chilly and dark rainy days like the one we had yesterday beg for a cup of tea and a good solid horror movie.

The one I watched , Trick r' Treat, while not scary did present an interesting focus on identity. Trick r' Treat is essentially four short stories that inter connect. I didn't find scary at all but the cinematography was wonderful and the movie was full of dark humor and a pretty high level of Karma.

I know it's early to bring in Halloween, and I will definitely have another Halloween centered post but watching a Halloweeney movie made me think about the dichotomy of Halloween and identity.

When examined culturally, Halloween is really one of the few pagan holidays that Christianity was unable to infiltrate. Every October 31, without thought or question families go through the rituals of their pagan ancestors no matter what their current religious affiliation. They carve pumpkins and light candles (thought to keep away evil spirits), they dress in costume (to confuse evil spirits), and they leave offerings of baked goods and sweets, commonly known as Trick or Treating (to appease the spirits and honor the dead).

While our society touts its modern "enlightened" nature, Halloween highlights our habitual superstitious nature. It glows from behind the mask of modernist front like the candle in a Jack-o-Lantern.

On an individual level Halloween offers us the rare opportunity to be anything we want. The choice we make when we change our front for the night says a great deal about what Goffman calls our "backstage." Whether it's our wish to be immortal or wish to be an adored performer our costume says something about who we are behind our everyday facade.

1 comment:

  1. I find what you are saying about Halloween very interesting. The idea of being able to not be considered a freak whilst wearing a ridiculous costume. I must admit here, that unlike many people my age, I have gone trick or treating every year. Last year I went as a gecko, which was very fun. I wonder what this reveals about my back region. Maybe I secretly want to save people money on their car insurance.

    ReplyDelete