Monday, September 21, 2009

Reflection 4: National Cathedral = Dumbledore?

I loved the National Cathedral. My grandma had told my father of it when we were to go to DC for vacation years ago, but I never got to see it. I'm really gald that I finally have. I'm a sucker for old architecture. I share this sentiment with my father; we also share the very limited knowledge of actual architectural terminology. But I do know a little bit about Gothic from history class, and I really admire it. The Cathedral really inspires awe in everyone that steps inside its cavernous walls. I was really happy to know that everything was done by hand. This Cathedral is a real gothic structure, not just a copy-cat. I think that fact portrays an interesting front. A cathedral in such a style exemplifies history and old culture. America at the time of construction didn't that, so like in Nationals' Stadium, the history had to be pulled from other places (like the abbey that donated stonework) and created.

I think the real reason I liked the cathedral is because it reminded me of a castle. As Allison T. said while on our tour, the place looked like Hogwarts. I imagine the cathedral to have tons of nooks and crannies to explore, just like the wizard school. I actually ventured up a set of stairs at one point out of the shear thirst for adventure. Sadly I was met with a locked door. But I would personally love to visit the National Cathedral again by myself or with a fellow explorer to inspect it and the grounds further. Any takers??

P.S.- Love the Darth Vader gargoyle! It would be funnier if they had one of Dumbledore. xD

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the National Cathedral too! I actually would really love to go study there one day - it seems so serene and quiet there. And it was reminiscent of Hogwarts. What's quite funny actually is that I put a picture of it on Facebook and a friend of mine in England who goes to Durham University said it looked very much like Durham Cathedral, and part of Harry Potter (the cloisters in some of the earlier movies) was filmed there!! so there is a definite connection between HP and the National Cathedral.

    The other interesting thing about the Cathedral is that even though it is very modern (I think it only was completed in 1990) it does have a extremely Gothic feel to it, with all the modern conveniences =] I love how close we are to the Cathedral, and I can't wait to study there one day!!! =]

    ReplyDelete