Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Question 5

I feel like the concept of having something “dramatic” happen to you in order to write an autobiography has gone out the window. I mean, I can think of at least two autobiographies where the person had achieved no real personal merit and yet still managed to release their life story. Example one- Paris Hilton. Paris Hilton’s autobiography Confessions of an Heiress tells readers about her privileged life as well as instructions on how to be an heiress yourself. Some of these rules include, “Have absolutely flawless skin…never, ever wake up before ten; never go to bed before three…never only have one cell phone when you can have many…never weat the same thing twice… and act ditzy. Lose things.” Seriously?

Example two- Tinkerbell, Paris Hilton’s dog. Yes, her dog. Even though it is supposed to be seen as humorous, I cannot believe why anyone would ever think that a dog’s autobiography would be a good idea. Or even why anyone would want to buy and read The Tinkerbell Hilton Diaries: My Life Tailing Paris Hilton.

I think that the public is the biggest reason why these nonsense autobiographies are being written. People are buying these books. Even though these celebrities (or animals) have never really done anything to earn national recognition, prestigious awards, or even any award, they still have autobiographies. I mean, I personally would rather read about a man who worked hard all of his life to support his family and died with his family all around him than about Paris Hilton.

No comments:

Post a Comment