Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hugh Heffner, My Great Uncle, and Alzheimer's

Thinking specifically of the article on Alzheimer's that we looked at for this week, and also thinking about Augustine's analysis of the relationship between identity and memory: would you still be you if you couldn't remember your past?



What if Hugh Heffner were to suddenly be diagnosed with Alzheimers, the fact that he "liberated" women for 50 years doesn't go away, simply his memory of it does. Or take Ronald Reagan for example - he had Alzheimer's. He may not remember his presidential identity, but other people sure do. It still exists. Just because you don't remember your identity doesn't mean it isn't there.



Your memory doesn't what make you who you are. The events and experiences that the memory is based off of make you who you are. Once you experience something, it influences your identity in subtle ways, and is then ingrained in your memory; even if you lose that memory, you are already formed and that won't change.



My great uncle got Alzheimer's at the ripe old age of 99. Everyone in my family always talked about how we was the friendliest and happiest guy to be around. I didn't get to spend a lot of time around him but when I did, I noticed this as well. My dad and sister went to visit him after he turned 100; at this point, he had Alzheimers. Although his memory was gone, his personality and manner was still the same. When my dad and sister got there he said, "You know I'm sorry I don't know who you are, but let's sit down and chat." People knew him as a friendly guy - that was his perceived identity. And that didn't change with Alzheimers.

2 comments:

  1. So the question is: is it the experience of a person by others that makes them what they are, or is it something intrinsic to the person that makes people experience them in that way? I can't help but wonder what Goffman might have to say about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what you thought about once all memory is gone. For me this would mean that you can no longer be yourself. Yes, other still would remember who you were, but what does that mean if you can't remember who you are? I think when it comes to a person's identity, you are who you think you are. Does it really matter that others can remember who you are when you can't? I think it does and at that point I think that your identity is lost. Others can remember who you were, but they don't know who you are.

    ReplyDelete