Monday, September 28, 2009

Reflection 5: My Evil Plans for Chinatown... >:)

It amazes me how we’re already on the fifth week of blogging. The past month or so has gone by so fast. I’ve made so many new friends and developed those relationships in such a short time. I’ve already joined some clubs, like the Rude Mechanicals (thank you to everyone who saw my show!) and plan to get involved in a couple more. I bombed my first Chinese quiz and I’ve got a couple papers looming around the corner, but it’s pretty manageable. All and all, I am really loving college, every minute of it. I especially enjoy the dorm living. I used to live 15 minutes away from my friends due to the odd structure of my home town. Now, everyone is just 15 steps away. I actually look forward to the interview with Gunperi. I hope she hears positive things from everyone and not just me.

Let’s switch gears and talk about the week’s events. The ethnography exercise was okay; it was hot and tiring, so I guess it wasn’t the most enjoyable. I can’t wait until we do the real one. I really want to go to Chinatown and observe the culture there. The Chinatown I’m most familiar with is the lively, bustling one in New York City. The Chinatown in D.C., in comparison, is so awful. It’s not a Chinatown! It’s like a city block pretending to be Asian! I mean come on, there's a frikkin Chipotle! I can’t wait for the opportunity to rip Chinatown apart. Mwahahaha…

P.S.- I'm really loving Invisible Man. I've only read 70 pages and I can't wait to discuss it in class. I pose this question to anyone who actually reads this: Does anyone else feel like they'll never look at a watermelon the same way again??

1 comment:

  1. yay! I feel the same about college. Since I'm so close with my family the transition was rough at first, but I'm actually surprised at how quickly this has felt comfortable for me. I'm glad other people are doing well and I think it shows a lot about the school how easy one's transition is or is not. Chinatown sounds like an interesting place to study since it is so different from the Chinatown in NY. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete