Friday, October 30, 2009

Come On Get Happy

Okay, so I do not want to appear to be out of line or rude, but I do not believe that the way our class discussions regarding our school have been what we as students should be saying about our school. Why are you at this school if you think you are better than it and settling? Yes, I applied to Georgetown as well and was wait listed. Am I settling at American and unhappy that I am here? No. I am not settling- American is an excellent school and let's be honest here. Barely anybody gets into Ivy League schools, and I have not found the work here to be easy at all but rather challenging and time consuming, as it is at any good college. There are people here, possibly even in our class, where American was a reach school for them and they could not be happier to be attending their "dream school." It sounds extremely condescending when it is stated that American is a settling safety school to someone who had possibly worked really hard in high school to get here. I just think that people need to be happier and stop being negative nancies.

On another note, I'm so excited for Halloween! I can't wait to see everyone's costumes!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Keara, and not just because we both wrote similar blogs. I have continuously become less and less comfortable with speaking up in class because I'm constantly feeling judged and am worried to be shot down. I know it's not just me who feels the same way, because I have heard this from several people. Why does there always have to be a right and wrong? I just feel like it is fine to disagree with people, but I think some of the comments in the more recent classes have felt almost condescending. I am really happy to be here and I WAS having a great time in Explorations, I just think people need to lighten up.

    ReplyDelete