Monday, October 26, 2009

Reflection 9

I have to admit, before President Kerwin came to speak to us, I was pretty ignorant about AU's history. I was actually schocked when I learned that AU's narrative is not the nacreous one I had assumed since first visiting AU as a senior in high school. While I understand why the university may want its lurid recent past recondite, I personally do not think that is what is right for the school.

Far from making me wary or ashamed to be a part of the community, knowing this about AU's past actually makes me proud. I am proud to see that my school has been able to come so far in what must have been a relatively short period time. I actually feel a stronger connection to AU's community; the growth, and the projected growth, of our school should be something we can rally around, not something we skirt over.

No comments:

Post a Comment