Monday, October 5, 2009

Reflection 6

I was excited when I learned that we were to watch Children of Men for our latest Wednesday lab; it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Yet although I had always loved the themes of the movie, a bleak, futuristic re-imagining of the nativity, I had never thought about it in the light of the role of identity.

I suppose that any movie about faith and redemption would need to involve exploring a character's identity; tracking the progression of his development from the beginning to the end of the movie. But I think that the movie also has to do greatly with the themes of memory, albeit in a different light then how we have been discussing it. There is no more hope in the world once there are no future generations- there is no point in fighting and dying for others when no one will ever remember it. We get a strong visual as to what would happen if humanity had no more future and no more hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment