Friday, October 23, 2009

Reflection 8- President Kerwin's Speech and the Strategic Plan

I must admit that I was a bit surprised as how personable and down-to-earth President Kerwin was. I mean, he is the president of the university, so it is so easy for him to think that he is a big shot, but that was not the impression I got of him at all. I thought his speech was interesting, and I laughed when he started talking about JFK for a brief period of time. My mom’s family moved to the United States while he was in office, and my grandma was OBSESSED with him. She cut out all of the newspaper articles about him and all his pictures in the magazines until she had literally ten scrapbooks all dedicated to him, so I could definitely relate to what President Kerwin was saying regarding ex-president Kennedy’s impact on the Irish.

However, although the Strategic Plan is a good idea and looks great to build up the reputation and prestige of American, it kind of reminded me of when we went to the Navy Yard for Discover DC. Yes, everything sounded great, but is it really going to happen? I mean, this is a bit more realistic than Navy Yard…it is planned to only take ten years whereas the Navy Yard will take thirty years if I remember correctly. Also, how do we know that this will actually happen? Once again, it all sounds great, but I am a bit skeptical to see if everything will be carried out as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment