Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Question 8- Community

In class on Tuesday, my group discussed how there are totally different kind of communities, and it really depends on the situation to label what a community is. We came up with a broad definition of community, which was a group of people who share at least one thing in common. With this definition, yes, AU is a community- we all picked to go to the same school, so we have something in common that we all liked AU.

However, except for in these broader terms, I do not really feel like AU is a community. It could be that we have only been here for a little over two months, but I do not necessarily feel close to students I pass while walking to class who I don't know. It may also be because it is too big to be a community. With about 6,000 students (I think?) there's pretty much no way that you will get to know everyone and feel close to them. But then again, there are schools much much bigger than ours and people still say that they're part of their college community. I feel like that's what really defines a community though- a tight-knit group, so AU contains multiple communities. I think that our UC is a community. If you join a group or sport, you will more than likely feel like you became a part of the certain group's community. Also, because these groups or our UC is much smaller than our student population, which reiterates my idea that a community should be close with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment