Monday, October 19, 2009

More like Dumbdog Obviousaire, am I right?

This week, I drew a blank on what to reflect on- so I decided to write about the movie Slumdog Millionaire, which I saw for the first time yesturday night. I also read an article from the Boston Globe which maintains a firm connection with the movie, "Let us now praise...the cliche." The article is a defense of the cliche, prose's socially awkward relative. Cliche's, the author James Parker argues, are a solid method of communication because they convey meaning clearly, concisely and without undue effort. Parker's writing reminded me of earlier criticism of Slumdog that I had heard well before I had ever watched the movie.

Because I am from New England my friends are all elitists, and elitists love nothing more than criticizing things that more stupider people like. I had heard that, "although the movie was good, the characters are too stereotypical/cliched." Parker and I, I assume, would respond with the same answer: Exactly! Suck on it! (He probably would actually say that in real life, most likely)

The reason that the Slumdog Millionaire story is so powerful is because the characters are painted so clearly and vividly, the young man fighting for his true love, the true love kidnapped by evil, and the evil brother who finds redemption; an obvious, emotionally powerful picture is worth well more than a thousand ambigous, intellectually stimulating words.

1 comment:

  1. Slumdog Millionaire, while predictable, was one of the best movies I have seen ever. It was so powerful, you're right Ben, and none of the predictability or clichedness took that away.
    It was a beautiful story - I wouldn't say fairy tale like but anyone who's seen it might be able to understand what I mean. The best thing I liked about the movie was the characters. You couldn't help but feel their pain and suffering it was great! Plus the soundtrack?! Amazing, can't even describe (Paper Planes has remained one of my favourite songs, as has Jai Ho)
    So if you're New England friends think they're too good for it - well it's their loss. Sometimes the best things are formed from nothing, or are hidden under cliches and such. You gotta be willing to look for the good things and can't just expect them to appear out of thin air
    Love Slumdog =]

    ReplyDelete